After World War, Camp Wolters was purchased from the War Department by a group of local businessmen and became known as Camp Wolters Enterprises, Inc. Many of the buildings were moved and converted to barns, warehouses, school buildings, and homes. Those buildings remaining at the camp were converted into a thriving industrial center.
During the latter part of 1950, representatives of the Air Force and the Army discussed with company officers the possible use of all of the buildings, roads, utilities, and other property owned by Camp Wolters Enterprises, Inc., at the old Camp Wolters site.
During the early months of 1951, it was announced that Camp Wolters would be reactivated by the Air Force and would be the home base for the aviation engineers. The Corps of Engineers and a nationally known independent appraisal firm made appraisals of the land, buildings, and other facilities, and after limited negotiations, a price for those properties was agreed upon, and a settlement was completed on this basis.
In February, 1951, the camp was reactivated and redesignated Wolters Air Force Base. Its mission was to house the newly formed Aviation Engineer Force, which was established in April, 1951. SCARWAF (Special Category Army with Air Force) personnel were trained here until 1956, when the SCARWAF function reverted to Army Control.
In March, 1956, Secretary of the Army Wilber M. Brucker and a party of Defense Department and Army officials arrived at the base to inspect the facilities.
The March 24 issue of the Army Times quoted an Army source as stating that the Army was ordered to take over Wolters Air Force Base as a site for primary helicopter training, and on April 19, Headquarters Wolters Air Force Base received a Department of Defense news release stating that transfer of the base would be held during the summer of 1956.
On July 1, 1956, the post was officially transferred to Army control and Camp Wolters embarked on its new mission - training helicopter pilot.